The Israel Academy of Sciences and Humanities (IASH) Postdoctoral Fellowships aim to attract young, top-of-the line researchers from around the world to join Israel's research laboratories. Their participation is expected to leverage international collaboration, strengthen Israel's leading laboratories; further their own professional and personal ties with excellent researchers at the outset of their careers, and create fruitful collaboration for future research.
The Postdoctoral Fellowships program was launched in 2018 in response to a discussion initiated by The Israel Young Academy, led by Prof. Yonina Eldar, which pointed to the need to enhance and diversify the number of highly qualified postdoctoral students in Israel's research laboratories, particularly in the sciences and engineering. Developed by a steering committee headed by Prof. Itamar Willner, the program was inaugurated in 2018 under the supervision of a review and approval committee chaired by Prof. Moti Segev.
The Academy awards two-year postdoctoral fellowships in the amount of $45,000 per fellowship per year to foreign researchers in the natural sciences, the exact sciences, medicine, the life sciences and engineering. The candidates must be foreign citizens (not Israelis) and no more than 4 years from receiving their doctorates at the time of their application.
The IASH funds $22,500 per fellowship, with the remaining $22,500 matched by the host university.
University rectors are invited to propose up to five candidates each. The Academy's review and approval committee selects the recipients on the basis of scientific excellence. The awardees participate in a yearly meeting and social events organized by the Academy.
Following are the names of the winners of the first cycle of IASH Postdoctoral Fellowships for Foreign Researchers, for the 2018-2019 academic year:
- Dr. Giacomo Fragione, Astrophysics | Host - Prof. Re'em Sari, Hebrew University of Jerusalem
- Dr. Oleksii Matsedonsky, Theoretical Physics | Host -Prof. Gilad Perez, Weizmann Institute of Science
- Dr. Maria Iljina, Biophysics | Host - Prof. Gilad Haran, Weizmann Institute of Science
- Dr. Harry McClelland, Paleoclimate Science & Geobiology | Host - Dr. Itay Halevy, Weizmann Institute of Science
- Dr. Flora Vincent, Plant & Environmental Science | Host – Prof. Assaf Vardi, Weizmann Institute of Science
- Dr. Aude Bernheim, Molecular Genetics | Host – Prof. Rotem Sorek, Weizmann Institute of Science
- Dr. Liang Yue, Systems Chemistry | Host – Prof. Itamar Willner, Hebrew University of Jerusalem
- Dr. Afu Fu, Biomedical Engineering | Host - Prof. Aaron Ciechanover, Technion – Israel Institute of Technology
- Dr. Niklas Von Volff, Chemistry | Host - Prof. David Milstein, Weizmann Institute of Science