Institute of France - Academy of Sciences
Agreement for Scientific Cooperation with the French Academy of Sciences of the Institut de France signed in 1989. The Agreement provides for an Israeli scientist to visit France and a French scientist to visit Israel in alternate years.
Founded in 1666 as Académie Royale des Sciences, it was dissolved in 1793 during the French Revolution and reinstituted two years later within the Institut de France. Today the Institut consists of 5 autonomous branches (Académie Française, Académie des Inscriptions et Belles-Lettres, Académie des Sciences, Académie des Beaux-Arts, Académie des Sciences Morales et Politiques). Full members: 120; associate foreign members: 150; corresponding members: 240.
The main tasks of the Academy are to: provide independent advice to the government and related bodies on scientific and engineering issues and prepare a biennial report on the state of science and technology in France for the government; participate in scientific activities by promoting meetings and debates and by publishing a scientific journal Comptes rendus de l'Académie des Sciences; encourage scientific activites through the awarding of prizes; and develop international collaboration.
23 quai de Conti
Phone: (+33 1) 44 41 44 03
Fax: (+33 1) 4441 4554