Russian Academy of Sciences
Agreement for Scientific Cooperation with the Russian Academy of Sciences signed in 1995. Four Russian researchers visited Israel under the Agreement in 2002; and one Israeli researcher visited Russia.
The Russian Academy of Sciences (RAS), founded in 1724 at the order of Emperor Peter the Great, reorganized in 1925 as the Academy of Sciences of the Union of Soviet Socialist Republics, restored under its present name by the Decree of the President of the Russian Federation in 1991, is the highest scientific self-governing institution in the Russian Federation. The main task of the Academy is to advance fundamental research in the Sciences and Humanities, to conduct long-term scientific investigations closely connected with industrial development, to study new possibilities of technical progress and to promote maximum practical application of scientific achivements and developments.
All the members of the Russian Academy of Sciences are elected. The highest decision-making body is the Annual Meeting, which brings together all Academicians and Corresponding Members. Within the Academy there are 18 divisions on particular areas of science, in which all members are involved according to their scientific interests. There are also 3 regional branches in the Academy: the Urals Branch, the Siberian Branch and the Far-East Branch, as well as 7 regional centres: Dagestan, Kazan, Kola, Saint Petersburg, Samara and Saratov centres. The Russian Academy of Sciences maintains broad contacts with foreign and international scientific organizations, being a member of more than 230 international scientific bodies.
14 Leninsky Prospekt
117901 Moscow V-71
Phone: (7-095) 954 3506
Fax: (7-095) 952 4190 AND 200 4298