Polish Academy of Sciences
The Polish Academy of Sciences was founded in 1952, replacing the Polish Academy of Arts and Sciences in Cracow which ceased to act until 1989, when it was formally reinstalled as a learned society.
The Polish Academy of Sciences was founded in 1952, replacing the Polish Academy of Arts and Sciences in Cracow which ceased to act until 1989, when it was formally reinstalled as a learned society. The Academy is a state scientific institution. It acts through an elected corporation of scientists and its own research institutes. The Academy aims to develop Sciences, its promotion and the advancement of national culture. The tasks of the Academy are in particular conducting scientific research, presentation of opinions and programs concerning problems of science and the application of the results in practice, development of international scientific co-operation by participation in international scientific organisations and by co-operation with foreign scientific institutions on the basis of bilateral agreements, education of different types, presentation of opinions on legislative acts concerned with science, its application, and with education.
There are currently 326 members (193 ordinary members and 133 corresponding members) elected for life, as well as 225 foreign members.
Joint activities continue under a longstanding Agreement for Scientific Cooperation with the Polish Academy of Sciences. Nine Polish researchers visited Israel and nine Israeli researchers visited Poland under the Agreement in 2002.
(Polska Akademia Nauk)
P. Defilad 1
Phone: (+48 22) 620-4349
Fax: (+48 22) 620-3374