During the General Assembly of the Israel Academy of Sciences and Humanities, which was held this week (on Tuesday, June 13, 2023), eight new members were elected to the Academy, bringing the number of Academy members to 149.
The new members are:
• Prof. Shmuel Feiner, Jewish History, Bar-Ilan University
• Prof. Itzhak Fried, Neurosurgery and Brain Sciences, Tel Aviv University and UCLA
• Prof. Israel Gershoni, Modern Middle Eastern History, Tel Aviv University
• Prof. Michal Irani, Computer Science, the Weizmann Institute of Science
• Prof. Sarah Stroumsa, Arabic Language and Literature, the Hebrew University of Jerusalem
• Prof. Leona Toker, English Literature, the Hebrew University of Jerusalem
• Prof. Ofer Zeitouni, Mathematics, the Weizmann Institute of Science & NYU
• Prof. Eli Zeldov, Condensed Matter Physics, the Weizmann Institute of Science
Academy President Prof. David Harel
welcomed the new members, expressing his confidence that alongside their achievements in research and their excellence, they would contribute greatly to the Academy's work and enrich it with the best of their knowledge and experience.